Expected by: 15 December 2022
Composites Assembly for High Performance Fastener-less Structures
Composites Assembly for High Performance Fastener-less Structures provides a broad and balanced span of information, covering both fundamentals and applications across academic and industrial state-of-the-art research and development on assembly, joining, inspection and repair of high-performance structures made from fibre-reinforced polymer composites and multifunctional nanocomposites. This knowledge is essential for the realisation of critical features in assembly and joining evolving procedures (across their design, development and performance analysis) in such multi-material systems, but also for the through-life maintenance of composite components used in a range of engineering applications such as those composite structures utilised for wind turbine blades, automotive parts, aircraft wings and fuselage. The book also addresses the non-destructive testing methods used to detect damage occurring in composite joints, which are essential to decide if the repair is needed.
The book begins by providing a fundamental description of the requirements for composite joining, assembly and repair. It goes on to address a variety of joining and repair procedures in composite structures from thermoset adhesive bonding to thermoplastic hybridisation, through-the-thickness reinforcement and sandwich structures. Further chapters cover the reliable assessment of structure's damage tolerance and failure assessment procedures, including non-destructive inspections and image processing based structural health monitoring, and provide understanding of the most likely deterioration mechanisms occurring in processing and assembly of composite materials and structures. The book is wrapped up with the ongoing state-of-the-arts in multifunctional nanocomposites with application for high-performance structures for self-sensing, energy harvesting and properties tailoring.
Composites Assembly for High Performance Fastener-less Structures brings together state-of-the-art practices for assembly, in-service damage and repair procedures along with the existing certification and repair regulations, followed by the futuristic opportunities for enabling and emerging polymer nanocomposites for smart structures, for an audience of academic researchers, advanced students, engineers and manufacturing professionals.
About the Editors
Hamed Yazdani Nezhad is an associate professor in aerospace structures at the Aeronautics and Aerospace Research Centre at City, University of London, with expertise in composite materials, multifunctional composites and composites assembly. He is a principal investigator for a number of the UK Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council projects, and co-investigator in the European Commission ones, for research on multifunctional composites and electromagnetic field aided composites tailoring, sensing and manufacturing. He is a fellow of UK Higher Education Academy and a fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and a member of the European Society for Composite Materials, with publications in the area of composites assembly and electromagnetic field-materials interaction for multifunctional composites.
Vijay Kumar Thakur is a professor and the founding head of the Biorefining and Advanced Materials Research Centre at SRUC, Edinburgh, UK. He also holds an adjunct professor position in Jiangsu University, Riga Technical University, University of Petroleum & Energy Studies (UPES), Chandigarh University, and is a visiting professor at Shiv Nadar University and visitor at Cranfield University, UK. Before commencing his tenure at SRUC, Vijay has previously held faculty positions at Cranfield University, Washington State University, USA, and Nanyang Technological University, Singapore. He received PhD in polymer chemistry (2009) and did his post-doctoral study in materials science & engineering at Iowa State University (USA). He has published over 350 SCI journal articles; 52 Books; 40 Book Chapters and 2 Patents. He sits on the editorial board of several SCI journals.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Overview on design and manufacturing of assembled composite aerostructures (Marco Barile, Giuseppe Barile, Leonardo Lecce and Giuseppe Petrone)
- Chapter 2: Processing of polymer composites: autoclave and microwave energy approaches (T Lachana Dora and Radha Raman Mishra)
- Chapter 3: Industry 4.0 for composites manufacturing (Miroslav Stojkovic and Cristian Lira)
- Chapter 4: Development of fibre-reinforced polymer composites through direct digital manufacturing (Ramesh Kumar Nayak and Hamed Yazdani Nezhad)
- Chapter 5: Joining and repair of resin-infused, continuous fibre-reinforced, thermoplastic acrylic-matrix composites for extended applicability (Winifred Obandeand Dipa Ray)
- Chapter 6: Aerospace composites' repair: integrated processes' feasibility (Dileep Yaswanth Pasupuleti, Gopalakrishnan Kamalakannan, Guillermo Garcia Del Valle, Larissa Reuter, Laurine Dehée, Lucas Mestre, and Hamed Yazdani Nezhad)
- Chapter 7: Augmented reality-equipped composites bonded repair (Xi Wang, Hamed Yazdani Nezhad, Samuel Court, Bikram Thapa, and John Erkoyuncu)
- Chapter 8: 3D printing of multi-material polymer composite systems (Feroz Khan and Hamed Yazdani Nezhad)
- Chapter 9: 3D printing of composites for space applications (Sung Wook Paek and Sivagaminathan Balasubramanian)
- Chapter 10: Development and manufacturing of thermoplastic composite booms for drag augmentation system of a small satellite (Chun Ho Yau, Zaria Serfontein and Hamed Yazdani Nezhad)
- Chapter 11: Adhesively bonded polymer composite joints (E.A.S. Marques, R.J.C. Carbas, A. Akhavan-Safar, and L.F.M. da Silva)
- Chapter 12: Design principles and recent developments in adhesively bonded joints of fibre-reinforced plastic composite structures (Roya Akrami, Sakineh Fotouhi, Ali Tabatabaeian, Saeid Lotfian, Mahdi Bodaghi and Mohammad Fotouhi)
- Chapter 13: Mechanical degradation of composite bonded joints subjected to environmental effects (Sonia Ruth Rincon Urbina, David Ayre and Hamed Yazdani Nezhad)
- Chapter 14: Performance of aerospace composites in the presence of process-induced defects (Dimosthenis Stratakis, David Ayre and Hamed Yazdani Nezhad)
- Chapter 15: Interleaving in composites (Mehdi Yasaee)
- Chapter 16: A deep learning-based tool to predict delamination induced interlaminar stresses in composite structures (Marco Zacaria Wahaba, Hamed Yazdani Nezhad, Yazhini Chitra Pradeep and Sathiskumar Anusuya Ponnusami)
- Chapter 17: Damage assessment of composites based on non-destructive pulsed thermographic inspection (Yifan Zhao, Weixiang Du, Lawrence Tinsley, Sri Addepalli, Jörn Mehnen and Rajkumar Roy)
- Chapter 18: Augmented reality-equipped composite monitoring (Idriss Ben Jamaa and Hamed Yazdani Nezhad)
- Chapter 19: Energy harvesting and self-sensing multi-functional polymer composites (Tasnuva Khaleque, Hamed Yazdani Nezhad and Marcin Słoma)
- Chapter 20: Tailoring thermo-mechanical properties of hybrid composite-metal bonded joint (Xiaolong Zhang, Vijay Kumar Thakur, Adrianus Indrat Aria and Hamed Yazdani Nezhad)
- Chapter 21: High-performance nanocomposites for strain self-sensing applications in composite joints (Jim Nourry, Tadej Bregar, Marek Burda, Vijay Kumar Thakur and Hamed Yazdani Nezhad)
Hamed Yazdani Nezhad, Vijay Kumar Thakur