This e-book is available through the IET’s digital Wiring Regulations platform. Once you have completed your purchase, details of how to download and access your e-book will be sent to you with your order confirmation.
Metering systems are a key technology for the management of energy and environment services, and for cost allocation and resource efficiency of systems and subsystems in industrial, commercial and SME applications. Good practice in the application of metering is fundamental to successful regulatory compliance, operational & resource efficiency and cost saving. This entails appropriate design, specification, installation and integration of metering systems as well as suitable management oversight and responsibility.
Metering provides the technical underpinning for the measurement of energy and utility services, and provides a key information source for organisations looking to apply cost saving, performance improvement and/or energy management activities at a plant, building or site level. Appropriate use of metering can therefore support asset owners/system operators as part of an overall asset management system.
However, common issues can adversely affect the application of metering systems, including:
- awareness of the purpose of metering (what needs to be manage?)
- understanding the meaning of meter data/meter readings (what needs to be measured?)
- ensuring fit-for-purpose meter system implementation (how to specify, install and use as appropriate?)
These issues could in turn prejudice the justification and success of follow-up cost saving, performance improvement or energy management activities.
The guide details the key steps in applying metering systems from design and specification, to technology selection, installation and commissioning, and finally operation and maintenance along with integration of metering data into reporting/management systems, to support identification of cost saving, energy management and resource efficiency measures.
Why choose the e-book?
- Simple access with all content available on and offline, no matter where you’re working
- Personalisation with bookmarks and the ability to add notes throughout
- Easy referencing, with page layouts that match the printed books